Teeth whitening is one of the most popular dental procedures. That’s because a beautiful and brighter smile never goes out of style. An at-home teeth-whitening kit allows you to achieve brighter, whiter teeth that will boost your confidence. But are teeth whitening kits safe?
Clinical studies show that at-home teeth-whitening kits, whether you purchase them through a dental professional or at a retail store, are generally safe and effective as long as you follow the directions of use very carefully.
It’s crucial, therefore, to follow the product instructions and pay attention to any precautions or instructions from your dentist. If you plan to whiten your teeth, we provide top-notch teeth-whitening kits at Little Green Building for teeth whitening in Toronto.
You would use typical at-home teeth-whitening products over a 10–14-day period. For prolonged use, be sure to consult an oral health professional. Some individuals may experience tooth sensitivity or soft tissue irritation from bleaching products, although the side effects are minor, short-term, and will usually resolve independently.
Minimizing Your Risk
Consider these tips when using at-home teeth-whitening kits.
- Be sure to read and follow the usage instructions you find on the product insert or label.
- Consult your dental professional before prolonged usage of any teeth-whitening product
- If you experience tooth sensitivity, try one of the following measures:
- Decrease your usage of the whitening product to half the recommended duration. For example, you can wear it for half an hour instead of a full hour.
- Discontinue the use of the whitener for two to three days, then resume it.
- Stop using the whitening product and consult a dental professional.
- Should you experience an adverse reaction, discontinue use, and seek medical attention.
- Don’t throw away any product that may have caused an adverse reaction. Having the product will enable your dentist and Health Canada to help you better.
- After seeking medical attention, report your adverse reaction to your Regional Product Safety Office.
- If you have gum disease, tooth sensitivity, unfilled cavities, or other dental conditions, be sure to consult an oral health professional before exploring tooth-whitening treatment options.
As our commitment to helping the people of Toronto create brighter smiles and raise their confidence, we are giving every new patient who pays for a complete exam, cleaning, and x-rays (if needed) a professional at-home teeth-whitening kit—a $350 value—for FREE.
Are at-home teeth whitening kits safe? The short answer is yes. Health Canada continues to monitor the research regarding the safety of tooth-whitening products. It examines safety data that manufacturers have submitted and scientific studies from recognized sources.
The government department also performs product testing when a product shows a pattern of adverse reactions.